Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Do You Find Yourself Sitting For Long Periods?

Perhaps at a desk, bookkeeping, photo editing, blogging..... You really need to consider what you are doing to your core. What I am about to suggest might not go with every decor. (See how well it goes with mine? And no, I am not painting my oak office armoir. I think it looks fine like it is.) But it is great for core strength building while sitting for long periods. Will also encourage good posture. And if you need a break, you can even stop for a few exercises. :-)



I love my ball. You can get them for 10-20 bucks anywhere. This one came from Walmart for 10. I used our black & decker air compresser to add air to it. I had one from a yoga or pilates kit once. It never held air. This one does. When I am not using it, I keep a Pilates Magic Ring under it to keep it from rolling all over the place. That is 15-25 bucks. You might can find one at a yard sale of thrift store. I would buy the ball new.

It will take practice to maintain balance on the ball for long periods. At first, you may even be sore if you spend a lot of time using it as a chair at your desk. But it will pay off. You back will stop bothering you, you will sit correctly, it tones the buns, you have to keep the core erect and engaged in an isometric contraction. And you will find yourself rolling back and forth on your heels... It does become very comfortable.

I will get my DH to take photos of me using the ball as a chair while working at my desk this weekend.

Have a Wonderful and Blessed Day!

No comments: