Saturday, January 10, 2009

Equipment & Shoes

I want to encourage each and every one of you to invest in a good pair(s) of workout shoes. I have a pair for aerobics, a pair for running (I also prefer them for walking though they say you should use different shoes for walking), a pair for all terrain hiking/jogging. For spinning, I use a fitness/aerobic shoe, not a jogging shoe. Gives better support and I do not spin enough to justify purchasing biking or spinning shoes. So fitness/aerobic/crosstraining shoes are fine for spinning classes. The aerobic and jogging shoes I wear out fast and have to replace often.

I have seen people ruin their feet and knees trying to be frugal here. (I may step on some toes, but they drive expensive fancy late model cars, but will not invest an extra $20-$30 bucks in a shoe?) Sometimes frugality works for a fitness shoe, but rarely. And personally, when I blow out a pair of shoes, I feel it all the way up to my back when I land from a high impact move. I know it it time for new shoes!

I prefer New Balance (NAYY~no affiliation yada yada), but I prodinate and they make shoes specifically for that. If you have a high instep, they have a shoe for that, etc. A shoe for every activity, for every foot.

Be prepared to pay $$$. And to make them last longer, only wear them for the activity you purchased them for. Something I do is look for clearance and discontinued shoes. You can pay as little as 25-40 cents on the dollar if you are willing to take last year's style or a shoe that has been in the warehouse a couple of years.

The old blown out shoes? Keep them for running around, cleaning the house, working in the yard, etc. Usually they still look brand new, the insoles are blown out or compressed. The support no longer works for what you purchased them for. But for chores, yard work, etc., I hang on to them until they hurt my feet to wear them.

Today's Tip:
Bite the bullet and get the right shoe for the activity. Check out what the store or online store (Online is great if you have hard to fit narrow or wide feet) has on clearance and always check out the discontinued items. You can save big $$$$ on the discontinued items! Online stores will often have specials and free shipping.
  • Ecclesiastes 7:12 NAS For wisdom is protection just as money is protection, But the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the lives of its possessors.
God does not want us to be spend thrifts or spend what we do not have. At the same time, he wants us to use the knowledge we have to take care of our bodies and any aspect of our lives wisely. Workout shoes can be very expensive. Take care in what you select. Your feet are an extention of your knees and legs. All can be ruined because of the wrong shoe. If you need to be frugal somewhere else to save money for shoes, it is well worth it and your feet and knees will last you a long time.

God Bless You & Have a Great Weekend!
Love,
Melissa

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh man! I totally need a new pair of shoes. Mine not only are blown out on the inserts but the outside looks blownout too! My toes are making an appearance at the tip.
Ooops... tee hee.
Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be able to grab myself a pair.
Laura

Joanne Kennedy said...

I've places like TJ Maxx and Marshall's have great sale prices on shoes. I almost picked some up today there but didn't have time to try them on.

Love your blog! Thanks for the tips.

Hugs,
Joanne